On the hottest day in June ever recorded, the installation meeting of the Lodge of Perseverance No 155 took place at the Adelphi Hotel, Liverpool. The lodge’s original warrant was issued on 27th July 1777 and was reissued in 1803, when the lodge met in the Legs of Man Inn, Fishergate, Preston, Lancashire. After moving to 17 other locations over the ensuing years, the lodge moved to its current home in the Adelphi Hotel, Liverpool in 1990.

The lodge was opened by the WM Mark Holloway, who offered the gavel to Mark Matthews, the Provincial Grand Master for the Province of West Lancashire and the lodge’s immediate past master. Mark briefly accepted the gavel but returned it for he knew it was in good hands. Mark Holloway went on to welcome the Deputy Provincial Grand Master Frank Umbers, who was the principal guest.
After the minutes were confirmed, Mark opened the lodge in the second degree and asked David Chestnutt to occupy the senior warden’s chair, Michael Clarke to occupy the junior warden’s chair and Alan Lamont to act as inner guard.
Howard Griffiths had the pleasure of presenting master elect, Ken Bradley, to Mark who installed him into the Chair of King Solomon in the traditional manner and with aplomb. The Lodge Director of Ceremonies, Brian Henshaw, proclaimed Ken as the Worshipful Master in the three degrees and presented the working tools in each degree.
Mark presented the warrant, by-laws and the lodge’s traditional history to Ken who went on to appoint his officers. He appointed Mark Barton as his senior warden and David Chestnutt gave the pedestal address. Ken appointed John McKay as his junior warden and Michael Clarke, the lodge secretary, gave the pedestal address. Ian Moore, who was absent due to business, was appointed as senior deacon and will be invested at the next meeting. Bob Povall was invested as junior deacon and Robin Andrews-Morris was invested as inner guard. Ken Bullen and Kevin Poynton were invested as stewards, while all other officers were reappointed to their incumbent offices.

Alan Lamont gave the address to the WM, Kevin Poynton gave the address to the wardens and David Hilliard gave the Hall Stone Jewel address to Ken before presenting him with the Hall Stone Jewel, awarded to the lodge in 1922. The address to the brethren of the lodge was given by Frank Umbers.
At the completion of the installation the charity steward, Alan Lamont, proposed that the lodge donate £700 to the West Lancashire Freemasons’ Charity, which was duly seconded and approved unanimously by the members.
Once the risings had been completed, the lodge was closed in due form and all retired to a splendid festive board at the Artists Club in Eberle Street, Liverpool.


